Friday, October 24, 2008

Unit $our

I would say Jake uses the normative resource power base. Jake and I each have our areas that we are in charge of, and that gives us power over them. Jake and I are a traditional family where he is the main breadwinner and I stat at home with our son. That gives us both power in different ways. Even though Jake is the main income, he never treats it like it is his own. It is the families money to be used where necessary.

This is a very successful way to use power because I think it gives each person a sense of power in some area. It spreads the power out.

Our famili is conversational. We talk about everything, even if it may cause an argument. We think that it is important to be open and honest and talk about what is on your mind.

Even though Carter is only 2, we still include him in our conversations because that is one way that he learns to talk. We listen to what he has to say even if it doesn't make any sense to us!!

I think Jake and I have become more converstional over time. My family was conversational as well, but Jake's was not. He and his brother had no say in anything and were on the backburner most of the time. So it was harder for Jake to share his feelings and what he thought with me.

We are now conversational and we have some totally different opinions and views, but that is ok and we will teach our kids to also be open and conversational.

Being conversational is very successful in our family. Sometimes being open can cause arguments, but they are srguments that need to happen to get past our differences.

No comments: