Friday, November 7, 2008

Family Stressor

A major stressor in my family was when I got pregnant at 19. Oops!

It seemed to effect my whole family including:
Boyfriend at the time, Jake, now husband
My Mom, Penny
My Dad, Dan
My sister, Carrie
My brother, Jesse
Sister-in-law Liz
And obviously Jake's family but I would be typing forever if I typed out all of them down.
This happened a little over three years ago and has effected multiple generations. Our parents are now grandparents and our grandparents are now great-grandparents.

I would consider this a horizontal stressor because it was an unpredictable event and it effected myself and my immediate famly, but not beyond that. It also was an interuption in the life cycle.

Our famly did experience some of the stages of grief during the crisis.
Shock: Everyone was shocked, my Mom most of all, and it took everyone a long time to openly talk about it.
Recoil: My Dad definately did a lot of blaming, not in front of me, but the blame was there. He was also very mad at the whole situation.
Depression: I do not believe that it got to the point where anyone was depressed.
Reorganization: Once everyone accepted the fact that there was a baby on the way, it was a joyous event that my whole family shared in.

My family didn't seem to use any of the coping methods.

No comments: